Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Joy After Genocide?

I meet weekly with a small group of dedicated leaders serving in the church. We pray together. Listen to each other. And occasionally, challenge each other. Recently, one of the challenges we embraced was whether we could "find God" [as if He ever hides!!!] in a magazine we would never ordinarily read. I was gonna pick up Vogue [just couldn't do it] or something about quilting [started dozing standing up], so instead I settled on Oprah.

Despite her new age crush on Eckhart Tolle's teachings, I found the rest of her magazine quite interesting. And the picture inside the April 2009 magazine of parentless children in Uganda still playing and laughing and even dancing in the after math of genocide jarring. Made me want to read the book by Richard Dowden entitled "Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles" [click pics for more].

All of which reminds me that God can be "found" by us [Jeremiah 29:14] whether we're slum dogs in India or orphans in Africa and that there can be joy—even after genocide. For more on this, click the top pic of the kids playing.

No comments: