Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Deadly Father's Day?

The first Father’s Day celebration sprang up in 1908 in West Virginia. A deadly mine explosion occurred in Monongah, WV claiming 361 lives. Because many of the men who perished were fathers, a fatherhood celebration seemed very appropriate. So Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation in 1966 that set the 3rd Sunday in June as Father’s Day. But just before Father's Day 2008, Tim Russert of Meet the Press, died. While his political insights and penetrating questions will undoubtedly be missed, it could be that his most lasting contribution to us will be his books on fatherhood both of whom have sold like hot cakes last weekend. They are both ranked in the top five sales positions at Barnes and Noble [click pic for more].

I haven’t read them yet, but I plan to because from what I have read, it sounds like Russert had a unique relationship with his father Big Russ and son Luke and a special understanding of the “Builder” generation and their children. Why does it take the death of a famous person to help us remember the significance and wisdom of fathers? What's the one thing you learned from your father that you'll never forget?

1 comment:

Dan said...

My Dad Walter Brooks died in 1987 when I was 19. The BEST advise he gave me and MADE me learn was how to care for my own car! Change the oil, check fluids, know what an engine SHOULD sound like, how to change a tire and not let a shop take advantage of me. He also said credit is bad, cash and a handshake will do. Always carry at least $5.00 with you!

It has served me well!
Kim Wilkins