Thursday, November 15, 2007

Yo Joe?

A couple weeks ago Pastor Nathan led our YO [Youth Operate] Group to Tent City for Sabbath School where they helped sort clothes, empty trash, and prepare lunch. After church I brought another group of Yo-Yo Ma's and Pa's [parents of YO Group members] downtown to join them. Even Joshua and Lydia were allowed to help serve the evening meal to a never ending line of humanity inside a dark tent.

I ate supper with a guy I'll call Joe. He had 2 backpacks with him. And said he'd be happy to "watch" mine while I went to get some food after we were done serving. I figured he had to be pretty good at watching bags so I let him.

Joe was polite. Easy to talk to. And said the barbecued chicken and cole slaw and beans was the first good meal he's had in 10 months. He said if he had any money, he'd give it all to the people who made Tent City happen. Who are bringing awareness and help to those less fortunate.

I think I may "adopt" Joe. Take him out for a real meal some times. Maybe mentor him if he lets me. I want my kids to know Joe. Because God loves Joe like crazy.

No comments: