Thursday, September 20, 2007

Manning For Me?

Last week I drove to Cleveland to hear one of my fave authors, Brennan Manning, give a talk. Though in his 80s now, he still brought it!!! It was a thrill to meet him and have my picture taken with him. As you can see, he was thrilled to meet me too. Staring off into space. Wondering when this stalker talker would leave him alone. Just joking. He was really nice. He even autographed his new book I bought The Importance of Being Foolish: How to Think Like Jesus with the words “In the compassion of Jesus.”
But what I appreciated most about Manning this time is that he reminded me that God actually likes me. Not just loves me. He almost has to love me. Because God is love. But what is so cool to know is that God also actually likes me!!! Just as I am. Flaws and all. And that HE longs to be with ME!!! Way more than I long to be with Him!!! THAT is a wonderful thought to think isn't it? It gives me permission to like myself just as I am. Flaws and all. Do you like yourself? If not, save yourself thousands on therapy and purchase the book Ragamuffin Gospel instead. Read it. And then bask in the glow of God's liking and love. This last pic is of Nathan and I basking from that glow in the French Gothic architecture of one of Cleveland's oldest churches.

1 comment:

EthicsProfessor said...

Mike, It is great to see Manning, this general of grace, still stirring up the hearts of the troops. Will we captains and privates have the courage to be "foolish" like Manning and Jesus are suggesting?