Thursday, August 02, 2007

Holy Cal?

An integral function of the Hall of Fame is putting the best players' careers into proper perspective. Keeping with that theme, Cal Ripken took time out of his speech this past week during his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame to try to put his most famous accomplishment -- The Streak -- [playing 2632 straight games] into perspective, noting that he's not the only one who showed up for work every day.

"I know some fans have looked at the streak as a special accomplishment, and while I appreciate that, I always looked at it as just showing up for work every day," Ripken said. "As I look out on this audience, I see thousands of people who do the same. Teachers, police officers, mothers, fathers, business people and many others."

"You all may not receive the accolades that I have throughout my career. So I'd like to take the time to salute all of you for showing up, working hard and making the world a better place. Thank you, all."

No wonder the Hall of Fame set a single-day attendance record at the induction ceremony with an estimated crowd of 75,000. I'm not the only one who still admires Cal. Do you?

No comments: