Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What Is Andrew's July 4 Dream?

Hi Pastor Mike,

I'm sorry I couldn't answer your questions sooner as I went on the Dreams Across America Campaign in Washington D.C. this weekend. I would be glad to answer your questions.

My parents came to the United States legally as my dad studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Toledo for 10 years, and then they went back to South Korea (with me) for a period of about 6-7 months.

My dad was a sushi chef at a local Japanese restaurant still in business today on Monroe Street, “Koto Buki.” When we came back to the United States my dad initially wanted to go the Michigan Language School in Ann Arbor to improve his English. He received his I-20 from there which was his legal status of being in the United States as a student. He then decided to go back to the University of Toledo and study Business Administration.

The University of Toledo accepted his tuition money, but never transferred his I-20 back to UT. From there, my parents' immigration status spiraled downward. The process my parents went through is different in that they came to the United States as legal immigrants, and did not try to sneak into the United States.

However, due to the inability of the University of Toledo to transfer my father's I-20 and bad legal advice, their immigration status was ordered deported in 1995. Ironically in 2000, my dad was given an I-140 to work in the United States, but he did not have the right to live here.

The recent failure of immigration legislation in DC effects my message positively because it shows the government the failure of the current immigration system, and a desperate need for immigration reform to hopefully reunite my family as well as prevent the separation of families due to the current unjust immigration laws.

I hoped I have answered your questions, and I will see you later.

Sincerely,
Andrew Jung

1 comment:

Leonard said...

Way to go Mike! Thank you for including Andrew's story on your blog. I know that his parents Dae-Hwan and Young love this country very much, and I hope it can be their home again very soon. Leonard